Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's Been Real

I thought this day would never come. And frankly, I thought I would possess more feelings of sadness and nostalgia. But sitting here on the second to last day of high school, I could not feel happier. I know for a fact that the sadness will set in, but not today. But for time’s sake, I want to take a trip down memory lane. Let’s time travel back to February. Oh, I do not like February. But, it’ll do. The first thing I notice makes me cringe. A blustering snowstorm can be seen through the third story window on this cold February afternoon. Despite the gloominess in the air, Ms. Serensky sits at her desk alert and ready to teach. Although it sometimes proved rather annoying, I admire Ms. Serensky’s dedication and determination. These two attributes make her the great teacher she is. As I sit in the back of the classroom, an imaginary figure looking over my old self, I notice Ms. Serensky’s commitment. Every one of my classmates, including myself, entered the classroom with misery written all over their faces. We slouched in our chairs, sighed, and whined when asked to put forth any sort of effort. But Ms. Serensky pulled it off. She successfully forced all of her students to learn and participate. Although the discussion topic sometimes deviated from the serious note of Rorschach’s arrest to the humorous, yet aggravating conversation about how much everyone hates Laurie, Ms. Serensky put us back in line when we had our fun. And watching our class as an outsider made me appreciate Ms. Serensky’s methods. Despite the fact that I dreaded every discussion and data sheet, I now know how much it helped me grow. Not only did the pain and misery help me grow as a student, but it helped me grow as a person. Without this trip down memory lane, I would not have realized how much AP English has impacted my high school career. I can complain and whine about it for hours on end, as I believe we all could. But in the end, we all know how much it has helped us. And we all know for sure that Ms. Serensky’s voice will always live in the back of our minds forever, telling us to shut up and move fast.
Thank you Ms. Serensky for two amazing years!!

4 comments:

  1. This class has definitely made my academic career completely different from my junior year. I appreciated your trip down memory lane and feel glad that you have had a positive resolution with AP English after having a love-hate relationship with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I absolutely identify with this blog post. I tend to complain (just a little, right?) in the face of hard work, but knowing that I have persevered and ultimately succeeding in AP English has given me confidence and experience to use in my ever-intensifying academic career. I, too, would like to thank Ms. Serensky for how she has benefited my future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading your positive reflection on AP English, because I think many of us do not put it into perspective and realize how much we have to be grateful for. I can also remember our complaining and dislike of all the work, but it definitely paid off in the end and made us all better writers. The last two years passed by so quickly and I still do not think it has set in yet, but next year at college I think we will all realize how good we had it in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about how much this class has helped us for the future. When I look back on how much work we have actually done, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and a knowledge that I can push myself more than I thought. I also know that everything we learned in AP English helps in the grand scheme because our writing has improved so much.

    ReplyDelete